Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Closet of Mysteries inside look at the new shop

The Closet of Mysteries has a new home in the Verde Valley of "northern" Arizona (It's actually the middle of the state but we call anything north of Phoenix "northern" AZ).  I have set up my screen shop in a shed behind our little house.  This is our phase two in a three part plan to live an independent and sustainable life "off of the grid".  I will explain more about that in later entries.  For this phase, Cristina and I have rented an inexpensive, small place where we can print shirts and grow plants to work towards our goal of building our own sustainable community.
It has been nearly a month since we moved and we had almost no time to get settled before work's demand required us to be production ready.  The first couple of weeks were a flurry of unpacking and printing shirts but now we have a lot less unpacking occupying the days.  Life is never slow enough to say things have settled down, but we will call them settled down for convenience sake.  I found some time to take some pictures while printing in my new shop.
We have started a bunch of seeds and I will share about those next time...
This is my shop! 
The screens are made with UV sensitive material so here is some of my very state of the art cardboard construction employed to protect unexposed screens.
I only use the most environmentally friendly professional water based screen printing inks.  The Gen IV are awesome. 


The painting in the background is a copy of a Francis Bacon painting that I did for a painting class at ASU (a long time ago).  The thing is huge but I always have found it a home.  I am going to hang it up later... 

No comments:

Post a Comment